QE Senior Technical Engineer
Job location: Johannesburg
Job sector: Quality Engineering
Works autonomously and acts as a senior providing professional advice, managing and/or coordinating a technical area. Leads technical areas within Quality Engineering projects using available frameworks and tools and establishing project plans with on-time and on-budget project goals.
- Leads multiple phases of technical areas within a project and/or multiple small projects of moderate scope and sometimes complex assignments. Responsible for a certain area and conditions.
- Assures the project meets quality standards by providing technical guidance in planning, designing, executing testing, and developing procedures relating to product quality.
- Applies data analysis, data modelling, and quality engineering techniques, based upon a detailed understanding of business processes, to establish and maintain data structures and associated components (entity descriptions, relationship descriptions, attribute definitions).
- Leads the creation of test cases using own in-depth technical analysis of non-functional specifications.
- Writes high quality scripts in a chosen tool and builds into a scenario to test defined non-functional use cases.
- Accurately identifies project risks and reports effectively to relevant stakeholders.
- Implements robust error handling and clear/consistent reporting functionality, investigating and reporting on hazards and potential risk events within a project or business area.
- Creates traceability records, from test cases back to requirements, reports on system quality and collects metrics on test cases.
- Provides detailed advice regarding the application of technologies.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or other related field, or equivalent work experience
- ISTQB Advanced
- Additional course or certification in Quality Engineering
- Certification in NFT Tools such HP QTP, Selenium, HP LR etc.
- Has achieved trusted advisor status at a senior level with the client.
- Excellent client-facing skills, takes time to establish underlying needs of client beyond those initially expressed.
- Has an innovative approach, develops new approaches to improve or replace existing procedures or systems.
- Excellent communication skills, maintains confidentiality, shares ideas and information, facilitates discussions and transfers knowledge to diverse audiences to achieve collective objectives.
- Renowned as an effective coach and sounding board.
- Good self-management. Takes on high commitments and works to achieve results. Keeps momentum going over time despite setbacks, showing resilience in the face of challenges and looking for ways to beat previous standards.
- Ability to manage own expenses and ensure adherence of others to the expense policy.
- Good applications/technology knowledge, building on specialist domain knowledge with practical experience of engineering/development tools and platforms required to deliver.
- Solid understanding with respect to analysis and design, implementation and system integration, execution as well as results evaluation, problem resolution and planning.
- Experience in designing, coding, testing and correcting scripts from agreed specifications, and subsequent iterations, using agreed standards and tools, to achieve a well-engineered result.
- Experience in implementing robust error handling and clear/consistent reporting functionality.
- Knowledge of relevant testing tools in test automation and performance: HP ALM, Load Runner HP QuicktestProfessional, Tosca, Borland Silk test, Cucumber, Soap UI, Selenium).
- Programming knowledge (ideally VB, Java, C#) and technical expertise in script languages (Shell, Perl, etc.).
- Strong knowledge on Cloud concepts and virtualization.
- Expertise on SQL database and handling queries.
- Exposure to Test Management tool JIRA.
- Good people skills, with experience of introducing and building ways in which people can learn from each other. Encourages mentoring and the transfer of knowledge by designing and delivering learning interventions.
- Experience in managing upwards with multiple people, gaining their trust quickly.