QE Technical Lead
Job location: Johannesburg
Job sector: Quality Engineering
Works autonomously and acts as a senior providing professional advice, managing and/or coordinating the work of others. Maintains the status of projects and monitors the activities of team members, leading Quality Engineering projects using available test frameworks and tools and establishing project plans with on-time and on-budget project goals.
- Leads multiple phases of technical areas within a project and/or multiple small projects of moderate scope and sometimes complex assignments. Responsible for managing own and team's time within a certain area and conditions.
- Writes high quality scripts in a chosen tool and builds into a scenario to test defined non-functional use cases, coordinating schedules, work and resource plans, and leading the progress of all activities against overall plan.
- Coordinates the information gathering and reporting process, conducting research to define problems and preparing responses to anticipated questions.
- Creates traceability records, from test cases back to requirements, reports on system quality and collects metrics on test cases.
- Produces test scripts, materials and regression test packs to test new and amended software or services.
- Provides detailed advice to the team regarding the application of technologies.
- Supports test management in developing project plans and tracking against key milestone dates.
- Develops a network to support and add value to client engagements including company, clients and external professional networks.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or other related field, or equivalent work experience
- ISTQB Advanced
- Additional course or certification in Quality Engineering
- Certification in NFT Tools such HP QTP, Selenium, HP LR etc.
- Has achieved trusted advisor status at a senior level with the client.
- Excellent client-facing skills, takes time to establish underlying needs of client beyond those initially expressed.
- Has an innovative approach, develops new approaches to improve or replace existing procedures or systems.
- Excellent communication skills, maintains confidentiality, shares ideas and information, facilitates discussions and transfers knowledge to diverse audiences to achieve collective objectives.
- Good people leading skills, experience of introducing and building ways in which people can learn from each other, encourages mentoring and the transfer of knowledge by designing and delivering learning interventions.
- Renowned as an effective coach and sounding board.
- Good self-management. Takes on high commitments and works to achieve results. Keeps momentum going over time despite setbacks, showing resilience in the face of challenges and looking for ways to beat previous standards.
- Ability to manage own expenses and ensure adherence of others to the expense policy.
- Good applications/technology knowledge, building on specialist domain knowledge with practical experience of engineering/development tools and platforms required to deliver.
- Solid understanding with respect to analysis and design, implementation and system integration, execution as well as results evaluation, problem resolution and planning.
- Experience in designing, coding, testing and correcting scripts from agreed specifications, and subsequent iterations, using agreed standards and tools, to achieve a well-engineered result.
- Experience in implementing robust error handling and clear/consistent reporting functionality.
- Experience in providing technical guidance to enable others and solving technical queries from junior colleagues.
- Knowledge of relevant testing tools in test automation and performance: HP ALM, Load Runner HP QuicktestProfessional, Tosca, Borland Silk test, Cucumber, Soap UI, Selenium).
- Programming knowledge (ideally VB, Java, C#) and technical expertise in script languages (Shell, Perl, etc.).
- Strong knowledge on Cloud concepts and virtualization.
- Expertise on SQL database and handling queries.
- Exposure to Test Management tool JIRA.
- Experience in leading and managing others, offering the appropriate balance of supervision and empowerment.
- Experience in managing upward with multiple people, gaining their trust quickly.
- Experience in being responsible for directing and monitoring the work of team members and providing guidance and training to enable others.